Nottingham East Midlands Airport DSA is an Airport in the East Midlands of England, near Castle Donington in Leicestershire. It lies between the cities of Derby, Leicester and Nottingham, all within a 20 mile radius of the airfield. It serves primarily as an Airport for the local inhabitants of the counties of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire, and also South Yorkshire due to its proximity to the M1, although there is now a smaller Airport, Doncaster Sheffield Airport located at Finningley. Passenger numbers reached a record of 5,414,299 in 2007, up 14.5% from 2006.
The Airport is owned by the Manchester Airports Group (MAG) which is controlled by the ten metropolitan boroughs of Greater Manchester and is the largest UK-owned Airport group.
East Midlands Airport has a CAA Public Use Aerodrome Licence (Number P520) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flying instruction. EMA is the largest unrestricted Airport in the UK, while at the same time being the second largest freight Airport. This is an important point for local residents, since many freight operations take place at night, and many discussion points have been raised recently by residents who do not wish for passenger night services to increase.
In a controversial move in 2004, East Midlands Airport was re branded Nottingham East Midlands Airport, despite lying in Leicestershire, being in the Derby postal area and the nearest city being Derby. Furthermore, there was already a Nottingham Airport, which is closer to Nottingham, even though it was a small airfield catering to general aviation.
The reasoning behind the name change was that many people from outside the UK and unfamiliar with the country's geography could not identify with the term 'East Midlands' and understandably did not know exactly where in the UK it was. The argument for adding 'Nottingham' to the name was that the city had greater international recognition through its size and historical connections. This assertion was disputed in the BBC's local news programme East Midlands Today which travelled to Amsterdam. Whilst there the BBC reporters asked the Amsterdam residents to identify the location of Nottingham on a map of the UK. The vast majority failed; however, many more Dutch locals had heard of "Nottingham" than "the East Midlands".
A BBC report on October 18, 2006 suggested that the Airport may change its name once again and the change, to East Midlands Airport: Nottingham, Leicester, Derby came into effect on 8 December 2006.
The Airport has excellent connections to the motorway network due to its proximity to the M1 and M42 motorways, bringing the airfield within easy reach of the major population centres of the Midlands.
Access by train is less easy; the closest railway station is Long Eaton, but the Airline Shuttle service links the Airport directly to Loughborough railway station and Derby. Skylink branded bus services also operate to and from Nottingham and Leicester, however they are not solely dedicated to Airport customers and will take on and let down other passengers en route. The railway network owner Network Rail is building a new railway station East Midlands Parkway closer to the Airport, to which it will be linked by shuttle bus and is due to open in 2008/09.
- Approximately 5 million passengers use East Midlands Airport every year
- More than 100 leisure and business destinations were available from East Midlands Airport during 2007
- You can now fly long-haul to Kenya, Jamaica, Mexico, Orlando and Dominican Republic from East Midlands Airport
- Over 6,900 people work across 105 businesses based at East Midlands Airport – 290 for the Airport itself
- We are the UK’s number one Airport for pure freight, managing 300,000 tonnes a year.
- At 2,893 metres, our runway is the sixth longest in the UK
- The Air Traffic Control Tower was constructed using 750 tonnes of concrete, stands at 52.3 metres high, cost £3.5 million to build and has 248 steps
- Our Airport fire engines are around three times the size of standard fire engines. The largest appliance can carry 350 gallons of foam and 3,000 gallons of water.
- We are a multi award winner. Recently we’ve won:
- Airport of the Year 2007 – British Travel Awards.
- Best Regional Airport – Travel Weekly Awards.
- World’s Leading Eco Friendly Airport – World Travel Awards.
- Best UK Regional Airport 2007 – Travel Bulletin Awards.
- Best Airport – Baltic Air Charter Association 2007.
- Green Apple Bronze – Green Apple Awards for Sustainable Transport.
The price we give you is the total price you pay - no extras....guaranteed.
+ Credit card payments have a surcharge applied by the processing company, we have no control or benefit from this.
East Midlands Airport Taxi Transfer Prices and Fares
All taxis and transfers need to be booked in advance to take advantage of our discounted rates.
All our prices are up to 60% lower than traditional Airport TAXI companies foun on the Airport taxi rank.We are give you true value for money and quality of service - No waiting in long taxi queues No extra charges if your flight is delayed. WE WILL GUARANTEE 100% to beat any genuine competitor price like for like from Official LICENSED TAXI Companies for all UK Airport Transfers or City destinations. The quote must be TO OR FROM East Midlands AIRPORT and for one pick up & drop off location.
- All our taxi Airport transfers need to be pre-booked to ensure that prompt and reliable service is ensured
- 24 hour door to door taxi transfer service
- We constantly monitor all flights direct with the airlines and also the Airports, so you don't have to worry if your flight will arrive early or delayed.
- All taxi fares are be quoted with a fixed price before your journey commences.
- Meet & greet at the arrivals hall with name board at no extra charge.
- Safe and reliable quality cars and fully insured experienced licensed taxi drivers and chauffeurs.
- On board satellite navigation system.
- Airport transfer and station transfer services to destinations throughout northern england and the UK
- Business accounts welcome.
- MANCHESTER AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- Leeds BRADFORD AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- ROBIN HOOD DONCASTER SHEFFIELD AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- LIVERPOOL AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- NEWCASTLE AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- HUMBERSIDE AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- SOUTHAMPTON DOCKS TAXI TRANSFER
- LONDON HEATHROW AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- GATWICK AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- STANSTEAD AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER
- LUTON AIRPORT TAXI TRANSFER